53,000 Pakistani children under five die annually from diarrhea due to poor water and sanitation.
Today, Pakistan is below the threshold of a water stressed country and is water scarce with per capita water availability at only 930 cubic meters per annum. Rapid urbanization and industrialization are negatively impacting the quantity and quality of water resources in the country.
People use a source of drinking-water contaminated with feces, putting them at risk of contracting cholera, dysentery, typhoid and polio.
It is estimated that, in Pakistan, 30% of all diseases and 40% of all deaths are due to poor water quality. Diarrhea, a waterborne disease, is reported as the leading cause of death in infants and children in Pakistan while every fifth citizen suffers from illness and disease caused by the polluted water.
About 20% of the whole population of Pakistan has access to safe drinking water. The remaining 80% of population is forced to use unsafe drinking water due to the shortage of safe and healthy drinking water sources.